If you want to increase your chances of success a strategic plan is the way to go.
Your business plan is a blueprint for how your business will work and become profitable, your strategic plan is why all your plans are going to work - the reasoning behind it all.
The Strategic Plan needs to address:
- Your business' vision (what is your ideal?)
- What is your mission? (What do you want to do?)
- Who are your customers and what exactly do they want to buy?
- Who are your competitors and how do you compare with them?
- What drivers for change may effect what our customers want in the future?
- How will these driver impact on your competitors?
- Are you able to meet your customer's needs today while preparing for future change?
- What are you best at doing?
- Is everything you are doing aligned with your vision?
What are your goals?
- Short term (learn as much as possible about the free range industry)
- Intermediate (develop a farm system that allows you to meet your vision)
- Long Range (develop a well known and respected brand)
- Strengths (marketing experience, butcher?, chef, selling ability etc)
- Weaknesses (lack of knowledge of the industry, dont like direct selling etc)
- Opportunities (demand, networking with other producers, market for breed)
- Threats (deceptive labelling, distance to markets and abattoirs, imports)
Formulate Your Strategy!