Becoming a PROOF Licensee allows you to use the PROOF 'PASTURED' logo on product packaging and promotional material. PROOF free range certification is available in Australia and New Zealand.
The Approval Process
To become certified with PROOF a business must first complete the online application (see below) that will include a questionnaire about compliance and commitment to the PROOF Core Values
- The certification fee will be calculated during the application process and will depend on the number and type of different livestock on the farm. The registration invoice must be paid prior to the application being processed.
- Applicants must undergo an farm audit before certification can be granted. The cost of the audit is approximately $650 (please see not below) and a seperate invoice for the audit will be provided.
- After payment has been received, a suitable time will be arranged for a PROOF inspector to visit the farm and complete the audit.
- Once approved, the applicant will be sent a PROOF Trademark Licensing Agreement. This document only becomes valid after it has been signed and received by PROOF.
- The application is finalized and a welcome email is sent that will contain the PROOF Licensee logo files for your use and instructions on how to complete your online profile.
- Prior to each annual renewal of the PROOF License, an email will be sent that will contain links to documents that will enable the applicant to complete a self-assessment of their operations through an internal audit that addresses all the areas of the PROOF standards for the livestock that are certified.
- The internal audit must be completed and submitted online for review prior to expiration of the License.
- The completed internal audit will be appraised by a qualified and registered auditor. The auditor may contact the applicant if any further information is needed. It is best to give as much information as you can in your audit report and upload pictures and documents to speed the audit process if you wish. There is a facility in the audit form that will allow you to do this easily.
- Once the internal audit has been successfully appraised, the application will be reviewed by PROOF.
- A percentage of farms are selected at random for audits through each year. At least 7 days notice will be given if you are to undergo an audit. The cost of the audit is included in your fees, however, if the auditor reports any non compliance that would trigger a further farm inspection, the cost will be borne by the producer. If a producer cannot give access to their farm on the chosen date, we may have to reschedule at the producer's cost.
Each applicant must also be aware of and understand the Rules for the PROOF Trademark and licensing.
The onus of proof in relation to claims made by individual producers is the responsibility of that producer. The producer will be accountable for all statements they make about their farming practices and claims made about their product. PROOF certification is your pledge that the meat or eggs from your farm have been produced in compliance with the PROOF Standards. Your PROOF certification means you stand by what you sell.
All Licensees will be required to list their farms on our website. This is done automatically and producers can control how much information they wish to display in their profile settings. The minimum requirements are business name, contact details, website or facebook page, state and town.
The base fee is $195 per year for small farms and further fees will be applied depending on the size and nature of your business. The fee scale is available here. A one time intial audit fee will apply to all new applicants.
Transparency is very important to us and apart from our auditing process, we rely on our network of producers and supporters to keep our system honest. We offer a facility for anyone with concerns about the use of the PROOF logo to contact us.